Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Resignation of Paul Estrin

I have just written the following to the editor of the Canadian Jewish News, in response to their publication of an item by Paul Estrin, recently resigned as the President of the party.  Whether they choose to publish or not is their right.  I am publishing on my blog to record the fact of my letter to them and as an expression of my views.
======
I am a member of the Green Party of Canada, and I am deeply concerned about Paul Estrin's resignation and the treatment he claims to have received. 
If Paul is guilty of anything, it is for publishing a view as President on our web site that did not conform to party policy.  No-one should be surprised by the reaction of the party.  If he had not been President, or not on the party's web site, the reaction would have been very different. 
However, beyond that, it is the policy of the party to support neither Hamas nor Israel.  Both are guilty of extreme acts against the other.  We fully support the right of Israel to exist, and equally the right of Palestinians to an equivalent statehood.  We support the right of Israel to self-defence, and equally that of the Palestinians to the same.  We do not equate those rights to the right to kill large numbers of either Palestinians or Israelis.  In the most recent conflict Israel's loss is small compared to that of the Palestinians.  I think one can be forgiven if one's sympathies are with the Palestinians (note please NOT Hamas!). 
None of which says we condone the acts of either party.  The Green Party would work towards a peaceful coexistence with each recognized and respected by the other. 
This expresses my personal view, based on Green party policy, and not necessarily the official view of the party.

======
I am not convinced that had I been in Paul's shoes I would have resigned.  The apology he issued would have been enough.  We do pride ourselves on tolerance, and part of the reaction to Paul appears on the surface to be intolerant.

I have not been privy to the deliberations within federal council (the administrative body of the GPC), nor have I read the blog that has led to Paul's resignation.

At the same time, I think it is a bit short-sighted to lose the president at the start of an election year.  Paul's skills wold have helped ensure we garner the support we need.  We now have alienated a segment of the electorate that we may need.  A new president has to be found, who will need to be brought up to speed rapidly to ensure we can field the candidates and the platform required in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment